Sunday, February 01, 2009

Challenge Book #31 - Greek yoghurt with condensed milk and oranges


A few weeks back I talked about my love of summer. This may have been a bit rash and precipitous. After two weeks of 35 plus temperatures I am rapidly heading towards over it. OVER. IT. Is there anything worse than feeling those beads of sweat sliding down your back and your legs. Ick!!!!

I have seen just about every movie that is out in a desparate effort to soak up some air conditioning. I highly recommend Gran Torino, Doubt, Slumdog Millionaire and Bolt. Avoid Valkyrie like the plague, it is a surprisingly dull movie. Even curly hair can't help Tom Cruise, who projects all the charisma of a carrot. Not even a of baby carrot which can be kinda cute, in a carroty kind of way. More of a big old knobbly hairy carrot.

Inevitably, I have been avoiding the kitchen as much as possible. The thought of turning on the oven or a hot plate is an anathema. I'm all about the quick and the cool.



Which is how I came to this dessert. No cooking required. None. Nada. It is so easy. So simple. And so good. It is seriously delicious!! I think it is the perfect emergency dessert. Tins of condensed milk will sit happily in the pantry. And I always have yoghurt and oranges in the house. I'm so happy I found this recipe.

This recipe comes from Apples for Jam by Tessa Kiros - which is by the way Book #31 in the KJ wants a Kitchen Aid Challenge. This is one of my all time favourite cookbooks. You only have to browse through my blog to see that. I have made dozens of its recipes and there are dozens more I want to try. It's like this book was written just for me!!

Greek Yoghurt with Condensed Milk and Oranges
(adapted from Like Apples for Jam)


100ml sweetened condensed milk
300gm natural Greek yoghurt
2 oranges
juice and finely grated rind of 1 small orange

Slice the skin from the oranges and slice into large wheels.

Mix together the condensed milk, half the rind and 4 tablespoons of juice. Slowly mix into the yoghurt.

Cover and put into the fridge for a few hours until it is soft creamy pudding.

Serve with a few orange slices, a dollop of yoghurt, a sprinkling of rind and a dribbling of juice.

12 Comments:

At 12:23 am, Blogger David T. Macknet said...

Love the description of Cruise!

Hope things cool off a bit for you. We're just hoping it doesn't get too cold!

 
At 1:42 am, Blogger julie said...

Hi KJ!
First of all, sorry to read elsewhere that you had to go to hospital last year, I hope you're much better now.

I have that book, lots of colours, really pretty. I have overseen this particular recipe but have often done this myself, to finish off the contents of an opened tin of CM. Truly delicious.

Good luck with the summer and the rest of the challenge!

 
At 3:55 pm, Blogger Brilynn said...

Tessa Kiros writes such pretty books.

I'm at the opposite end of the weather spectrum right now and freezing. If we could meet somewhere in the middle, that would be great!

 
At 11:50 pm, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

KJ, Brazilians love sweetened condensed milk and I am no exception - what a fresh and great way of using it!

 
At 12:53 am, Blogger grace said...

oooh la-di-dah! thick greek yogurt sweetened and citrified sounds heavenly and so refreshing. great creation, and you'd better believe i'll be avoiding valkyrie. :)

 
At 4:30 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this sounds so refreshing!

 
At 8:26 am, Blogger thecelticcookinshanghai said...

I'm with you on Tom Cruise!
Feel I want to rush out and buy the book. The recipe sounds really nice, and simple, which will always work for me. I just have to wait until our temps get above freezing!

 
At 9:45 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom Cruise is a bit of a big dumb carrot.

But, this dessert is inspired! So simple--kind of like a melted-but-still-cold creamsicle for grown ups. I'll be scooting off with this idea tucked firmly in my brain.

And now I'm thinking one could add a splash of Cointreau or something (unless that would react all weirdly w/the dairy), try it w/other fruit. This is like a recipe template just begging to be played with.

Yay!

 
At 3:20 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks delicious. :)

 
At 7:33 am, Blogger The Food Hunter said...

This sounds very good. I will be sure to try it.

 
At 5:33 am, Blogger Kelly-Jane said...

I have had this recipe marked since AFJ arrived, must give it a go.

 
At 10:24 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi DaviMack, no such luck.

Hi Julie, thank you!! I am still on the road to recovery, but I am doing much better.

Hi Brilynn, if only!!!

Hi Patricia, oh yes, I love dulce de leche.

Hi Grace, good choice.

Hi Veron, it definitely is!!

Hi Jacqui, it's a fabulous book.

Hi OPC, oh yes, I think the possibilities are endless!!

hi Cooking Ninja, thanks.

hi Food Hunter, hope you enjoy it.

Hi KJ, go for it!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet