Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Challenge Book #20 - Chocolate Marshmallow Clouds



Believe it or not, these biscuits are called marshmallow clouds. You can't really see it can you? Puffy, fluffly, cottony....? No. More like deflated marshmallow balloons. Like they've smacked into a rosebush and fallen splat onto the ground

This is all my own fault. It was only when I was in the kitchen surrounded by ingredients and all set to bake that I realised that the marshmallows were supposed to be frozen. BOTHERATION!!!!

I reasoned that the mallows would have plenty of time to freeze while I was making the batter. So I hurled them in and got started. It was a bit optimistic to say the least. By the time I came to form the biscuits they were only a bit frozen around the edges.

So I fidgeted around for a while. Then I fidgeted around for a bit more. Then I got fed up. Watched marshmallows never freeze!!!!!! I decided to just get on with it.

I'm hopeless at this kind of thing. I was not born with a waiting gene. I am the kind of person that constantly pokes at things to see if they are done yet - jelly that is trying to set, jam that is trying to gel, bread that is trying to rise, cakes that are trying to cool, sauces that are trying to reduce, meat that's trying brown. I'm there doing minute by minute reports in forensic detail.



Fortunately, in this case it really didn't matter too much. Yes, they don't look fantastic. I wouldn't serve them at any formal occasion. But they tasted great. The biscuits are quite soft and fudgy with the chips providing hits of chocolately goodness. With the addition of marshmallow - yum.



I found this recipe in the Mrs Fields Cookie Book, which is Book #20 in the KJ wants a Kitchen Aid Challenge (where I have to make a recipe from every book I own before I can buy a new one). I bought this book somewhere back in the depths of time. It has been well used but not by me. I think I have lent it to everyone I know at some point or other.

I'm kinda fascinated by Mrs Fields. In her picture in this book she is the very archetype of the late 1980's - big hair, big nails and big lipstick. Apparently, she is no longer Mrs Fields, having divorced and remarried. Whooooops!!




Jessica's Marshmallow Cloud
(adapted from Mrs Field's Cookie Book)

3 cups plain flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tspn baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
225gm unsalted butter, softened
2 eggs
2 tspn vanilla extract
2 cups of chocolate chips
225gm mini or chopped marshmallows, frozen

Combine flour, cocoa and baking soda and set aside.

Cream the butter and sugars. Add the eggs and vanilla. Beat at a medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the flour mixture and the chocolate chips. Blend until combined. The mix will be quite stiff.

Group some marshmallows in your hand and encase them in the cookie dough. Make a ball about 5cm across.

Place on a non-stick baking sheet spaced well apart. Bake 8-10 minutes in a 200C oven. Leave to cool for 3-4 minutes on the tray and then transfer to a cooling rack.

12 Comments:

At 2:28 am, Blogger grace said...

oh la la! i think they look delicious! i, too, suffer from the inability to wait patiently for anything. i'm glad it worked out in this case. :)

 
At 5:31 am, Blogger Jenny said...

This is such a cool idea, I bet my kids would love it.

 
At 6:44 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These just look unreal and sinful. Perfect!

 
At 7:42 am, Blogger Deborah said...

That sounds like my kind of cookie! And who cares what they look like, as long as they taste great! (even though I think they look delicious - especially that last photo!)

 
At 12:22 am, Blogger Mama Bee Simple said...

this looks really tasty, might give a try!! :D

great post & take care - thanks for sharing!

Hope to hear from you,
Monika

 
At 3:21 am, Blogger Cynthia said...

You are such a temptress!

 
At 6:22 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We'd like to invite you to participate in our July berry recipe contest. All competitors will be placed on our blogroll, and the winner will receive a fun prize! Please email me, sophiekiblogger@gmail.com, if you're interested. Feel free to check out our blog for more details. (Click on my name in the message header link to visit our blog. :)

 
At 11:23 pm, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

KJ, I'm a cookie freak, so be sure I'll be making these.

 
At 11:24 pm, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

And what's up with big, long nails in people making food shows?? Like Nigella's?? I don't get that. It doesn't look very clean to me.

 
At 1:35 am, Blogger Ivy said...

HI!
These look absolutely heavenly!
Great pics too. :)

 
At 2:05 am, Blogger Alicia Foodycat said...

You mean you aren't supposed to poke at jelly when it is setting? How else are you supposed to find out it is ready?

 
At 7:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! thae look so good!

i love the idea

can someone please tell me why the marshmallows need to be frozen though?

i dont get it

please reply to apple_juice_12@hotmail.com if you know why thae need to be frozen.

i need to know cause i need something sweet to make for home economics .. yes i am only in highschool..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet