Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Daring Bakers - Opera Cake

Give me a D, give me an A, give me an ..... oh never mind. Yes, it's Daring Baker time again. Be prepared to be inundated by opera cakes. Don't fight it people. There's no escape. They're everywheeerreeee!!

When I saw this month's challenge I couldn't help but wonder just how many, if any, operas feature cake. Are there any arias devoted to pflaumenkuchen? An arietta in praise of madelines?

The computor says nooooooooo.

The closest I could get was a song called 'Opera Singer' by the band Cake. It goes a little something like this - I am an opera singer, I stand on painted tape, It tells me where I'm going, And where to throw my cake ... ooops.... cape. Eat your heart out Mozart!

So what about my opera cake? Well, first of all I had to choose the flavour. The stipulation from the hosts was that the cake must be light coloured. So I went for rose syrup and pistachio buttercream. I wish I had some deep and meaningful inspirational reason for choosing this. But no, it was the first thing that popped into my head and I just went with it. Sorry.

Now comes the making of. Well, it was quite a long and eventful experience.

First of the all the cake. It all went very smoothly, right up until I popped it in the oven. As I stood there patting myself on the back for a job well done, I spotted a little bowl of melted butter going all 'what about me' on the kitchen bench. Dooooh!!! I yanked the tin straight back out of the oven. Poured the batter back into a bowl. Mixed in the butter. Washed and relined the tin and shoved it all back into the oven. Crossed fingers and wished on a star. Amazingly, it came out again all risen and golden and spongy and cake like.

Next, the buttercream. I melted and beat and whipped. Runny goo. Delicious runny goo, but utterly useless. So I started from scratch and somehow, someway ended up with lovely, light fluffly buttercream. Don't ask me how. I was just along for the ride.

Followed by the white chocolate mousse. Clumpy curdled mess. Not delicious and equally as useless. This was no mystery. It was not a good idea to try to whisk the cream and melted chocolate together. Starting again, I mixed ever so gently and ended up with lovely light mousse.

I pushed my luck to the limit and went for the glaze. In a stunning upset, I actually managed this one first go. Haaa!

Pulled all together it looked like this.



And how did it taste. Well it was very nice. Everyone enjoyed it. But to be honest, it was not quite nice enough to justify the effort all over again. I am glad I tried it, but you can't win them all.

Thanks to this month's hosts Ivonne, Lis, Fran and Shea for a great challenge. Please visit the Daring Baker Blogroll to see what my fellow Daring Baker's have created. If you are interested in the recipe, you can find it here. If it's not there yet it soon will be.

41 Comments:

At 5:38 am, Blogger glamah16 said...

This cake was tricky. Not complicated, just trickey. Love the combo of rose and pistachio.Itlloks liek it all turned out right in the end.

 
At 6:11 am, Blogger Jenny said...

My first Opera of the month!
Such lovely layers. And a nice combination of flavors.

 
At 7:51 am, Blogger steph- whisk/spoon said...

looks ggod! flavor-wise, great minds think alike, i see (i did pistachio and lemon-rosewater). white chocolate mousse can be a pian in the butt...i made a dorie cake a few months back where i had to do the WCM 3 times.

 
At 7:58 am, Blogger Dolores said...

Urk... the white chocolate mousse is the component in this challenge that scares me... and it's the component I still have left to assemble. Wish me luck?

Yours turned out GREAT!

 
At 9:13 am, Blogger Cakelaw said...

Lovely looking cake - I could use a slice right now!

 
At 10:04 am, Blogger maybelles mom said...

very serene and beautiful.

 
At 10:13 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, your ganache layer looks so beautiful. Good job!

 
At 10:43 am, Blogger Megan said...

Your flavors sound delightful.

 
At 2:02 pm, Blogger Dharm said...

Great Job Karen! Your cake looks just lovely. I made a choc/cheese mousse but I think your flavours of pistachio and rose water sound lovely.

 
At 4:38 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, fantastic !

 
At 4:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no recipe in the link, pls pot recipes

 
At 4:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

rose and pistachio is one of my favorites and I considered those flavors as well. Yours looks fabulous!

 
At 6:04 pm, Blogger Gina Ruiz said...

Beautiful cake. Love the combo of rose and pistachio.

 
At 6:04 pm, Blogger aforkfulofspaghetti said...

Well, it certainly looks the part!

 
At 7:43 pm, Blogger grace said...

i fully approve of your flavor choices--they're a great combo, but i'm sorry the end result wasn't as sensational as you'd hoped. it looks pretty darn fabulous, and at the very least, your arm got a good workout. :)

 
At 9:28 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Love your combos beautiful cake!

 
At 10:12 pm, Blogger Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Your cake looks very nice and the flavour combination is unusual, to me anyway.
Maybe you would enjoy a different combination better.

 
At 11:28 pm, Blogger Mary said...

I love the idea of rose and pistachio. It just sounds so perfect for a cake like this. And from the photos you can't at all tell that you had problems making it!

 
At 11:38 pm, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

I absolutely love your version for the challenge, KJ. It looks so tender!

 
At 12:13 am, Blogger Jen said...

Great flavor combos though I think I agree with you that the cake was a bit more effort than it was worth...

 
At 12:15 am, Blogger giz said...

Such a good job - it was my first challenge and thought I would be throwing myself off a bridge before I finished .. lol I survivied :)

 
At 12:18 am, Blogger Lou @ The Higher Nest said...

I agree! I'm glad I tried it, but not sure I'd give it another go anytime soon...

 
At 3:29 am, Blogger Barbara said...

I'm glad you persevered through the challenge, your cake looks stunning! I love the combination of rose syrup and pistachio buttercream, yum!

 
At 3:43 am, Blogger Kelly-Jane said...

Lovely cake KJ! I nearly had a fit when I realised the butter was still in the microwave, but the cake was almost baked so had to go with it :) Great job :)

 
At 4:08 am, Blogger Deborah said...

What a great flavor combination! It is gorgeous - and I'm glad it all worked out for you, even though it look 2 tries for parts!!

 
At 5:24 am, Blogger Bumblebutton said...

It is a looker, even if not your favorite. Nice job!

 
At 6:46 am, Blogger Helene said...

Fabulous job on the challenge! I love your choice of flavors...yum! Sorry about the mousse woes but happy to see you pushed through and created this!

 
At 10:15 am, Blogger Amy J. said...

Ohmaga, I had a mental block but was reminded that I left out the butter in mine, too! Sheesh. My story sounds a lot like yours, except I didn't do a photogenic version - yet! ;>

 
At 11:17 am, Blogger jasmine said...

Beautifully done with an inspired flavour combination...

j

 
At 3:18 pm, Blogger Lisa T. said...

What a great flavour combo! Your cake looks fantastic.

 
At 10:53 pm, Blogger Sheltie Girl said...

You did a beautiful job on your cake. I love your pictures too.

Natalie @ Gluten A Go Go

 
At 12:40 am, Blogger Unknown said...

mmmmm...looks great! What does this rose syrup taste like anyway?!

 
At 2:57 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yours looks great!

 
At 6:06 am, Blogger Meeta K. Wolff said...

SUch a elegant looking opera cake. a perfect job!

 
At 9:59 am, Blogger Nora B. said...

I think that the combination of rose syrup and pistachio is just perfect! Beautiful cake, KJ!

 
At 1:31 pm, Blogger Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

Way to go on your first go! And even with the butter escaping it turned out great! Your flavor combos sound delicious!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

 
At 2:03 pm, Blogger Lunch Buckets said...

I came to a similar conclusion - not that I regret making it, just in no hurry to do it again.

 
At 4:13 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how your cake looks! I see we share almost the same experience making the cake - I was not in love with the result after the long hours, frustrations and whatnot I had to deal with making the cake. I want some bread for the next challenge, please:) Not more greasy cakes:)

PS: I noticed you don't have a subscription link. How do I keep updated on your beautiful blog? Please email your new fan (me) and let her know:) Thanks:)

farida@azcookbook.com

 
At 4:30 pm, Blogger jenniferhoiyin said...

Your butter cream looks so fluffy and light, it's so delicate!

 
At 7:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rose and pistachio ... mmmmmm. Lovely!

 
At 2:40 pm, Blogger Elle said...

It was a lot of work, but your cake is really lovely...sorry it took me so long to come and admire it :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet