Saturday, May 31, 2008

Challenge Books #11 & 12 - Ice Cream Sundae



Simple things are always the best. Yes, yes, it's a cliche. But it's true, nonetheless.

At least it is when it comes to this dessert. A scoop of dense creamy vanilla ice cream and super thick rich chocolate sauce topped with chopped nuts. That's it. Perfection!!!



I discovered this ice cream in Tessa Kiros's Falling Cloudberries a couple of years ago. Tessa says 'this is not one of those nouvelle vanilla ice creams - it is dense, rich and very country style'. I could not have put it better. There is nothing airy fairy about this ice cream.

I have been making it pretty much constantly ever since that day of discovery. It can always be found in my freezer.



But it never lasts very long.







Falling Cloudberries is Challenge Book #11 in the KJ Wants a Kitchen Aid Challenge. This is where I have to make a recipe from every single cook book I own before I can buy any new ones. If I am a good girl, I can buy myself a new mixer.

Falling Cloudberries is a gorgeous book. I love the family stories she has entwined through the recipes. What an interesting life she has had.

A warning though, this ice cream contains raw eggs. Which is not for everyone.

Vanilla Ice Cream
(adapted from Falling Cloudberries)

4 egg yolks
1 tspn vanilla extract
300gm sweetened condensed milk
500 ml thick cream

Whisk together the yolks and the vanilla. Whisk in the condensed milk.

Whip the cream to soft peaks. Mix in the yolk mixture.

Refrigerate until cold. Churn in an ice cream maker.



The chocolate sauce recipe is from Challenge Book #12 - the Family Circle Classic Essential Chocolate. I have a whole stack of these little books. They are sold at supermarket checkouts, cost just a few dollars, in other words impossible to resist.

Chocolate Sauce
(adapted from Family Circle's Classic Essential Chocolate)

100gm dark chocolate, chopped
100gm unsalted butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
300ml cream
1/3 cup cocoa powder

Put the chopped chocolate in a bowl. Combine the butter, sugar, cream and cocoa powder in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer, stirring, for two minutes.

Strain the mixture over the chopped chocolate and leave for 2 minutes. Stir until melted and smooth.

12 Comments:

At 6:03 pm, Blogger grace said...

add some butterscotch sauce to your vanilla ice cream and luscious chocolate sauce, and you've got my go-to summer treat. simply delicious!

keep up the good work and keep your eyes on the prize--more cookbooks! :)

 
At 8:16 pm, Blogger Joanna said...

Love this challenge ... we should all do it, really. I've been resisting the temptation to buy Falling Cloudberries - she's written about three others, too, so I know it will end up being an expensive obsession ;)

The ice cream sounds good, too

Joanna

 
At 1:30 am, Blogger chriesi said...

Mmm tempting! Btw I have tagged you in my blog. Cheers. :)

 
At 5:59 am, Blogger My Sweet & Saucy said...

Simple things are best and this looks simply delicious!

 
At 1:22 am, Blogger Deborah said...

This cookbook is on my want list, and now I really, really want it!

 
At 2:54 am, Blogger Amanda at Little Foodies said...

That looks.... so bad, and obviously I don't want any and nor would the children...

I love Falling Cloudberries.

 
At 10:34 pm, Blogger Cathy x. said...

that looks great! and i love your blog by the way :)

 
At 2:05 pm, Blogger Cynthia said...

There is a reason why only cliche(s) work :)

 
At 7:16 pm, Blogger steph- whisk/spoon said...

you killed two birds with one stone with that challenge! ice cream sundaes are definitely perfection, especially when everything's homemade!

 
At 1:05 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could have that ice cream every day. :)

 
At 9:24 am, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Grace, ooh that sounds good. Next time!!

Hi Joanna, I don't think you would regret buying Falling Cloudberries. But yeah, it can all get a bit much.

Hi Chriesi, thanks. I will get to it soon.

Hi sweet $ saucy, definitely!!!

Hi Deborah, you won't regret buying it I'm sure.

Hi Amanda, such strength!!

Cathy, thank you.

Hi Cynthia, for sure!!

Hi Steph, yes, it was very satisfying. Home made is always best!!

Hi Ninja, me too!!!

 
At 7:31 pm, Blogger Kelly-Jane said...

Two book in one go! Looks great too, and I like that your served it in a pretty cup too :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet