Sunday, June 24, 2007

SHF#32- Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream Sundae

What is your favourite, most craved dessert? This is the question Jennifer the Domestic Goddess has posed for this month's Sugar High Friday.

I had to think hard about this one. Chocolate cake, pavlova, trifle, apple crumble and custard. The thing is that they all fit the bill. What I feel like eating really depends on the time of year, the weather, what mood I'm in, who I'm with, what I had for breakfast. A squillion different things. How could I pick just one?

The way forward was clear. I had to decide what I most wanted to eat at that very moment in time - 7.38pm on 10 June 2007 - and just stick with. So that is what I did and here it is.


An ice cream sundae with chocolate sour cream ice cream, whipped cream and chocolate and sour cherry sauce.

This is so yummy. I love this ice cream. It's an adaptation suggested by the reviewers of an Epicurious recipe. It can be found here. I make the ice cream exactly as directed but add 200gm of dark chocolate to the custard once it is thickened and still hot. Then I stir until melted and continue on with the recipe - refrigerate, add sour cream, churn and freeze.

It's an incredibly smooth, rich and creamy ice cream. The chocolate flavour is underpinned by the faint bite of the sour cream. It is quite simply delicious.

As for the sauce, well there are few combinations that beat chocolate and sour cherry. It is one of my favourites. The recipe is very simple. Melt 120gm of chocolate with 3 tbspn of thickened cream. Add half a cup of juice from a jar of morello cherries and add chopped morello cherries to taste. Allow to cool and enjoy.

The final touch is whipped cream. It adds to the total sinful decadence of the dish. And quite frankly, it's not an ice cream sundae without it. It would be ice cream with topping.

So there you have it. And if I could make my choice all over again at 6.12 pm on 24 June 2007? I would be tucking into pancakes with honeycomb butter. But that will have to wait for another post.

1 Comments:

At 12:16 am, Blogger Cheryl said...

Oh My!! Ice cream sundae!! I bow down to you. This is the type of dessert that defines what I live for.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet