Monday, May 21, 2007

SHF31# Neutral Territory - Marshmallows


Sugar High Friday is a blogging event created by Jennifer the Domestic Goddess. This month it is being hosted by sevenspoons with a theme of Shades of White. There seemed to be so many possibilities. I pondered crunchy meringue, milky pannacotta, snowy icecream or creamy cheesecake.

In the end, I settled for fluffy marshmallows. My recent foray into honeycomb got me thinking about confectionary. It's fun to make, it's good to eat and it's an always appreciated gift. So I am keen to expand my repertoire and marshmallows seemed like a good next step.

I searched for a recipe and found this one on Epicurious. It has so many glowing reviews I had to give it a go.


It was actually very easy. The only thing that went wrong was that I accidently used flour instead of icing sugar to line the tray and dust the top of the marshmallow. What an idiot I am -LOL. I had two identical dusters sitting on the benchtop, one with flour as I had just finished rolling out pastry, and one with icing sugar. But it was completely fine. The marshmallow came out of the pan beautifully. I ensured that there was a thick layer of flour (icing sugar) over the bottom of the pan. The flour on top formed a very fine dry layer which I just sliced away.

I took a tip from the reviews on Epicurious and used a pizza cutter to slice up the set marshmallow. It worked brilliantly, but there is simply no getting away from the fact that it is a sticky job.

As for taste, they are really good. I added an extra teaspoon of vanilla extract. I think you could add almost any flavour you want - cinnamon, lemon or say almond. The texture is denser than store bought marshmallows but I enjoyed that.

I used the marshmallow to create three different treats. Some I rolled in a mix of icing sugar and cornflour (see photo above). I found using straight icing sugar added too much sweetness. I think the idea would be to mix the two to your own taste.


For the rest I rolled half in toasted coconut. The other half I dipped in melted milk chocolate. After all what doesn't taste even better with a dose of chocolate.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 11:47 pm, Blogger Sara, Ms Adventures in Italy said...

I really want to make marshmallows here in Italy, especially pretty ones! :) Thanks for test-driving the recipe. I am drooling for the chocolate-covered ones.

 
At 1:49 am, Blogger tara said...

Okay. I thought I was inlove with the coconut ones, but now I've seen the chocolate! My goodness, how tempting. Hmm, what if you covered the coconut WITH chocolate? Love the idea of the pizza slicer, what a great trick. Thank you so much for your participation in this month's SHF!

 
At 2:23 am, Blogger Brilynn said...

The chocolate ones look extra good!

 
At 5:00 am, Blogger Helene said...

Beautiful confections! Marshamallows are fun to make and better to eat. I love the ones with the coconut. Tip: to cut without too much stickiness, oil the blade of your knife with a paper towel and some vegetable oil.

 
At 8:56 am, Blogger iamchanelle said...

oooh! those look wonderful (especially the chocolate covered ones - that seems to be the popularity vote here!). great job.
(and thanks for stopping by my site, too! be sure to let me know when you try the sorbet - would love to know how you enjoy it.) :)

 
At 2:42 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Ms Adventures - I'm glad you like them.

Hi Tara - you're absolutely right I should have done some with both. A definite for next time.

Hi Brilynn - The chocolate ones certainly got the popular vote.

Thanks Helen - This is a great tip. I will remember for next time.

Hi Chanelle - I will certainly let you know about the sorbet. Thanks for visiting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet